- A woman from the coastal city of Jacmel died when a tree fell on her house
- Forecasters said the storm would likely stay below hurricane force until it reached the Gulf of Mexico on Sunday
- Storm is currently barreling over the Caribbean hitting Haiti, the Dominican Republic, and Cuba
- Florida Keys are in direct path of massive Category One storm
- International aid groups in Haiti's capital were prepared to evacuate several thousand people from settlement camps that sprang up after deadly 2010 earthquake
- Has caused the start of the Republican convention in Tampa, Florida to be postponed from Monday to Tuesday
. He also said he was in close communication with local, state and federal agencies, as well as convention officials.
A local resident loads sandbags in her car in anticipation of possible floods generated by tropical storm Isaac in Tampa, Florida, on August 24, 2012